Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Honest Practice

 Here's a thoughtful blog post on the subject of practicing by my friend and colleague Eric Miller. If you have a moment, please follow the link and read the whole thing.

http://www.millerstrings.com/1/post/2012/08/honest-practice.html

"In college, I was always in awe when I went to a percussion student's recital. The recitals, unlike those of string players and wind players, were always perfectly executed; not a single mistake. I also noticed the pieces were usually memorized. In order to get to the bottom of it, I read a book by a percussionist named Steven Schick called The Percussionist's Art. In the book, Schick, who is an outstanding performer, outlined his practicing process. He memorizes the first note, then the next, always returning to the beginning and playing through, adding notes each time."

No comments:

Post a Comment